Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Why It's Good to Cry

Hmm, the scientific side of it is interesting and it does correlate to the emotion. Well done Science ;)

I admit I cry alot more than I wish I don't so yeah, I have had a lot of suppression in the past. These days it's somehow has gradually slow down or stop :). I guess I have found out a way to release the emotions on the spot before it takes a toll on me. Yay!

Anyway, this is something worth noting. Yes, don't be afraid to shed the tears. I do that in public so much so I have gotten to the point to just show it. One cannot stop it so might as well be bold and show it. Little did you know someone will notice and help.


Get Over It. That was the mantra of my household growing up. 

Needless to say, strong expressions of emotion were not encouraged.  

Crying? 

That was for the faint of heart. Years of therapy,meditation and other practices have helped me move beyond stoicism. 

I now have no problems crying. In fact, crying helps me solve problems. I enjoy a good cry every now and again.  

My spiritual mentors tell me it’s cleansing and healing and it definitely feels like that. But the CPA/left brain part of me can’t help but wonder: What really goes on in the body when we sob the I-just-broke-up-with-my-boyfriend tears?

Cry and wash the stress right out of your body (literally)

A study by Dr William H. Frey II, a biochemist at the St Paul-Ramsey Medical Centre in Minnesota, has shown that emotional tears contain adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH), which increases in cortisol, that infamous stress hormone linked to greater levels of abdominal or visceral fat. 

This lovely layer of fat is not only unattractive, but also plays a major role in a host of health problems. Such fat has been shown to increase risk for cardiovascular disease and Type 2 diabetes. In women, it is also associated with breast cancer and the need for gallbladder surgery.

Clears the body, clears the mind

Sigmund Freud stated that blocked-up emotions can physically and psychologically hinder us. I believe (and the science backs the belief up) that we store emotions in the body. When you let your emotional gunk fester internally, it can result in aches and pains and other discomfort.  

That’s when a good cry can help. Did you ever become emotional in a yoga pose? That’s the result of yoga loosening up the emotional garbage you are storing–garbage that is ready to be released!

Start crying and say goodbye to destructive coping mechanisms

Not being a big fan of being emotionally expressive led me to resort to alcohol and occasional food fests when I wasn’t facing my emotions head on. 

If you're able to sit with your emotions in a calm and grounded place, and let the tears out, you'll not only feel better, but also will be less likely to escape via “coping” mechanisms that are not so great for you.

In summary: cry until the cows come home. You'll feel better emotionally and you will literally be cleansing your body of internal stress. What could be better than that?

I hope this helped you! Please let me know how crying has worked for you: Are there specific times when a cry helped you move forward in your life? Are there specific emotions that crying is good at dissolving?

0 comments:

Post a Comment